October 17, 2015

Seriously guys, being a mama is HARD!

So, having a baby is tough.  First you have to grow the kid.  Then you have to give birth to him. Those two things in of themselves are hard and time consuming and you'd think the hardest part of it all, right? Nope. Then you have to care for this little person.  This little person who can't communicate with you except for screaming, crying, flailing and wailing. This is not the most effective way of communication, especially if you are sleep deprived. You know how people say you can tell the difference between the cries. Bologna! After a certain point, screaming is screaming.  And when it's 2AM and he's screaming for the 4th time since going to bed all you can think is "Dear God, WHHHHYYYYY???"


Well, at least we have an answer for our why.  Remember how I said that James had been eating every 2 hours for the last few weeks, even at night, with very little rests in between? Poor kid. He had a doctors appointment Thursday and it turns out he's not grown in length or gained much weight since his last visit 2 months ago.  No seriously. He has grown in length only about 1/4 inch or less in 2 months. That's not good. So for the most part, he's not been getting enough nutrition to make him grow; it's just been maintaining him really. The good doc feels that my messed up gallbladder is a likely culprit of me not being able to get enough nutrients and therefor James not getting enough either.  And the fact that I've been having a hard time eating enough doesn't help either.  So I feel like I've been starving my poor kid even though I've done everything I can to produce more milk. Fenugreek, oatmeal, water (SO much water), eating, eating, eating.  The only way I produce enough for him is if he gives me enough time in between feeds which isn't happening so well at the moment. 


Two nights ago we gave him his first formula bottle before bed.  He looked at it a little side-ways after the first sip but then horked it down with his usual gusto. He has always been a hearty eater so hopefully with the extra food he'll be getting he'll start to get porky soon.  Hopefully he'll love the solids as well. I think we may give that a try tomorrow-I'm thinking sweet potatoes or avocado.  I'll definitely try to get some photos of that since it's guaranteed that he will be making some funny faces; either of love and delight or hate.  Any way you look at it, it proves to be hilarious.


I know I don't ask often but if you think of it, please keep James in your prayers. Healthy eating and sleep is the name of the game for him. And bonus, the better he sleeps, the better is sleep which makes me a happy mama ;)

No comments: