August 14, 2010

More Fun Cyprus Facts:

So I thought I would help you all get to know our future home. We (and mainly me I think) have been researching like CRAZY to better understand this new mythical world we're going to. So here are some fun, interesting, and random facts....
1. A person who is from Cyprus is called a Cypriot. You are either a Greek-Cypriot or a Turkish-Cypriot. Kinda sounds like apricot.
They are this:



not this:


2. According to Greek mythology, it is the birth place of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty. I don't really need her though, since I have an amazing love and obviously I am terribly beautiful ;)
This is her rock. Yup, she's in charge of love and all she gets is a rock.



This may be slightly more recognizable. See, she's in the sea. Being born. So one could surmise that the woods to her left is Cyprus.



3. Apparently the Cypriot people are known for their hospitality and warm welcome to visitors. I'm picturing something like this:


4. Although Greek is spoken, there is a particular dialect that Cyprus has. 15% of what is spoken is particular to Cyprus alone. So not only are we going to have to learn some "regular" Greek words, but the awesome, special ones too! And apparently Greek separates things into 3 genders, very forward thinking ;)



5. And my favorite thing I have learned, so far, is that being late, and I mean really really late, like 30-45 minutes late, to a social function, is not only acceptable but expected. So I figure we'll look like this waiting around for our new friends to show up....



More to come later....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find you very humorous, and I like you a lot...Peter also finds you amusing (I think that's English for "you're stinking hilarious").

Da_Meesh! said...

WHAT?!?!?! :'( Ah sadness!!!!

BUT-on the flip side, happiness that I will have another international penpal!!!!! Hooray!!!! I just wrote you at your house in Sac; I hope you get it...

As soon as you get there can I pplease please please please PLEASE!!! have your address??????

love,
mish